Terms & Conditions
It is a condition of entry that all rules are accepted as final and that the entrant agrees to abide by these rules. Submission of an entry will be taken to mean acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- Entries will not be accepted outside of the advertised closing date or if they are embedded with borders or locks. Only digital photography is accepted.
- Entry is limited to no more than three photographs per person. Late, illegible, incomplete, defaced or corrupt entries will not be accepted. No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries and proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of receipt.
- Uses of personal data received by the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) are subject to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Entrants names and location will be published on the relevant CIOB online and printed media alongside their photograph.
- Any personal information you supply us will not be shared with any third parties, and will only be used in direct relation to this competition.
- The Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) reserves the right to cancel this competition at any stage.
- The minimum age for entry is 18 years old.
- These rules are governed by the laws of England and Wales.
- All submissions must be made in JPEG file format and no smaller than 1080 pixels by 1080 pixels. The file should be a no bigger than 5mb. Submissions that do not comply will be rejected.
- You may digitally enhance or alter your photo in anyway you like.
Judging and Prizes
- There is no alternative to the prize stated and the prize is not transferable and no part or parts of the prize may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions. The Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) reserves the right to change the prize at any time.
- The judges reserve the right to remove any entries from the competition that they feel may breach or contravene the laws of public decency or may bring the photographer or the competition into disrepute. Such entries will be deemed as void. This includes images that maybe offensive, previously published, copyrighted (by someone other than the entrant) or otherwise contrary to the spirit of the competition.
- The judges will be looking for originality, creativity and a clear link to the ‘The Art of Building’ theme. All submissions must include a 50 word summary as to why the entrant feels the image fits the ‘The Art of Building’ theme. The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Entrants will retain copyright of their imagery at all times and will always be credited alongside their picture.
- All images must be the work of the individual submitting them and must not have been published elsewhere or have a won a prize in any other photographic competition.
- It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure the images they submit have been taken with the permission of the subject and do not infringe the copyright of any third party. Entrants must warrant that they own the copyright for the photograph and that their entry does not infringe the privacy rights, copyright or any other rights of any person.
- The entrant warrants that they have obtained permission of those pictured in the image (or, where the image shows any persons under 18, the consent of their parent/guardian) for the usage rights required by the competition and will indemnify the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) against any claims made by any third parties in respect of such infringement.
- By entering the competition you grant the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) the right to use your photograph to promote your entry into the competition and the competition itself. At all times the CIOB will ensure that photographers receive full credit alongside their photograph.
- By entering the competition you grant the Chartered Institute of Building the right to use your photograph in a book of the competition. You can opt out of this should you wish by notifying the competition organisers ([email protected]). Entrants selected to feature in a book will receive full credit alongside their photograph.
- By entering this competition, you accept that your photograph(s) may be exhibited by the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) or other exhibitions organised or attended by the CIOB in direct relation to The Art of Building competition. The CIOB reserves the right to mount and frame entries for exhibition purposes.
- By entering the competition your imagery will be used in a range of public and media relations work to raise the profile of the competition and those who enter. Where possible the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) strives to ensure the photographer is credited within external media.
The Art of Building10 Year Collection
Order your copy of The Art Of Building. Limited to just 200 individually-numbered copies, this stunning collection of photographs submitted to the CIOB’s annual Art of Building competition is a must-have for anyone who is passionate about the built world and how humanity and nature interact with it.